Chicken in Red Wine and Mushroom Sauce
Noble Vines 667 Pinot Noir
Certain noble vine stocks have proven their excellence over time. Noble Vines takes the best of these vine stocks—identified today by number—and cultivates them in California.
Slowly simmered in a rich wine sauce, chicken becomes incredibly tender and flavorful. This dish is a lighter riff on coq au vin, a traditional ragout from Burgundy that usually contains bacon. Here, we ditch the pork and bump up the proportion of mushrooms, resulting in an earthy, autumnal dish that’s incredible with Noble Vines Pinot Noir.
3 lbs skin-on, bone-in chicken breasts, thighs and legs
salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 pound small mushrooms, left whole
16 pearl onions, peeled
2 tablespoons finely chopped shallots
2 medium garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tablespoons flour
1 ½ cups dry red wine
½ cup chicken broth
1 bouquet garni consisting of 4 parsley sprigs, 2 fresh thyme sprigs or 1 teaspoon dried, 1 bay leaf and 2 whole cloves
1. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper.
2. In a skillet large enough to hold the chicken pieces in one layer without crowding, melt the extra-virgin olive oil and butter over medium-high heat. Swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet. Add the chicken pieces, skin-side down.
3. Cook without disturbing until the chicken pieces are browned, about 6 minutes. Turn the pieces and brown the other sides, about 5 minutes.
4. Turn the heat to medium-high and add the mushrooms, onion, shallots and garlic; stir. Cook 3 minutes.
5. Use a spoon to drain most of the fat, then sprinkle the flour evenly over. Stir and cook 1 minute.
6. With the heat still on medium-high, add the wine, chicken broth, bouquet garni, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 20 minutes, or until tender. If the sauce seems a little thin, uncover and simmer to reduce. Remove the bouquet garni and serve.