We’ve all been there: You don’t expect to host a whole crew for tonight’s football game — but suddenly the doorbell rings and you find yourself with a living room full of fans who are hungry and thirsty. First things first: Open a Bota Box, put it in a spot where they can grab their own refills, and escape to the kitchen during commercials to whip up any of these quick-to-make dishes:
- Football and steak go together like movies and popcorn. A simple broiled flank or skirt steak cooks quickly and you can easily make it a meal with a big bowl of salad and a hot loaf of bread. Pair it with Bota Box Malbec, a plush, medium-bodied wine with aromas of blueberry and blackberry.
- Pigs-in-a-blanket are always a hit but if you don’t have any in your freezer, don’t fret: It’s super easy to whip them up yourself. Just take any biscuit dough or puff pastry you have hiding in the back of your fridge, and wrap the dough around each hot dog. Slice each one in half or thirds, brush with melted butter, and bake at 350° until brown. Serve with Bota Box Merlot or Pinot Grigio.
- Who doesn’t love pasta? Even in college you knew how to boil water and throw some sauce on top for a fast meal. But with a little multi-tasking, and no additional time, you can amp it up a notch by making this Fettuccine with Roasted Chicken and Tomatoes. No chicken? No tomatoes? Just use the classic combination of olive oil, sautéed garlic and Parmesan cheese.
- Tacos are always a fun way to feed a crowd. Plus, they’re versatile so you can prepare them any way you like. If you have leftover rotisserie chicken, you can simply shred the meat and sauté it with a half a teaspoon each of cumin, chili powder and salt. Or swap the chicken for a can of black beans, especially if you have vegetarians in your crew. Serve with tortillas (even nacho chips will do) and any other topping you have on hand like salsa, sour cream or avocados. Pair your tacos with Bota Box Sauvignon Blanc, a crisp, medium-bodied wine.
- Italian dumplings, called strozzapreti, involve ingredients you probably already have in your kitchen. They cook in two minutes flat and have a definite wow factor.
- There isn’t a football fan around who doesn’t appreciate a good burger. Go basic with beef patties, or surprise them with this version from South Africa. Shape them into sliders to keep them easy to pick up while watching the game, and serve them with Bota Box Pinot Noir for its bright aromas of cherry, blackberry and cocoa.
- It’s incredible how much time you can save with pre-made pizza crusts! Make your own pizzas and top them with whatever you have on hand – cheese, vegetables, or even deli ham or salami. No tomato sauce? No worries! A smear of olive oil on the crust, with salt and garlic powder, gives a foundation that any pizza lover will appreciate. Pair your pizzas with Bota Box Redvolution, a smooth, full-bodied wine.
- There’s no reason why you can’t do breakfast for dinner! An easy egg-based casserole will please everyone – especially you because it involves almost no time away from the game. Take a bag of frozen hash brown potatoes (any kind will do but shredded is best) and pour them into a baking dish along with chopped ham, peppers and shredded cheddar cheese. Separately, mix a dozen eggs with a cup of milk. Add salt and pepper and pour over the hashbrown mixture. Bake at 350 for an hour or until set. (Not feeling it? Just grab some bagels, lox and cream cheese! Trust us: Any breakfast item is sure to be a hit.)
- Football games often last a few hours and one of the easiest ways to keep a crowd fed for long stretches of time is to put out apps they can graze on at their leisure. Avoid foods that need to be kept warm and instead make a few dips like Spicy Black Bean Dip or Artichoke Spinach Dip and serve with pita bread. Don’t want to cook at all? Then just dash to the store for a few premade dips and take them out of their containers before serving. Your guests will be so focused on the game that they probably won’t know the difference! Serve them with Bota Box Shiraz or Rose.
Need more ideas for party apps that require no cooking? We got you covered. Click here.